Thursday, October 13, 2011

Civil Rights Movement

Passive resistance is defined as non-violent opposition to an institution or idea. This is contrasted with violent resistance or revolution--which relies on physical force for opposing an institution. An example of passive resistance is the ongoing Syrian Uprising of 2011 against the Assad regime--the outcome is uncertain, but thousands of protesters are being detained and killed. Another example of passive resistance is found in the actions and words of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, who resisted British colonial rule for Indian independence.





This photograph was taken by Charles Moore, photographer for Montgomery Advertiser, during Dr. Martin Luther King, J.R.'s arrest in Montgomery, Alabama. Dr. Martin Luther King, J.R., was arrested on the charge of loitering. He was attempting to enter a courthouse when arrested. He was to pay a $10 fine or spend 14 days in jail for trying to defy a police officer--he chose to spend time in jail rather than voluntarily pay the fine.


Looking at this image, I see a younger MLK than I am used to seeing. He appears to be handled roughly by the arresting officers, but not resisting. I see a man driven by his convictions so strongly that he can deal with his own arrest with complete control. Knowing he will later choose to not pay his fine shows his insight into their system well enough that he can protest the laws of the city even after conviction.





Taken by the same photographer in 1963, Birmingham. There are people running from water hoses. The woman is being carried to safety after being hit by a high pressure water hose. She is wearing a dress and her shoes are not flat. I simply find it incredulous how she could be considered a valid target for the water hose. I think it shows weakness and growing desperation from the Birmingham government--to the point where they are willing to commit absurd acts.

Discrimination in Sioux Falls

I have always lived in Sioux Falls. I have encountered isolated incidents of racism throughout my life, usually by residents of lincoln county--who tend to fit a certain demographic not compatible with those raised under Lakota ideals. More often, however, I have seen discrimination against younger aged people most consistently. This discrimination is made by citizens in general, but also in the business and professional world. There simply is no place in Sioux Falls for young people with new ideas or skills.

When I started my business, I met with an older professional for a friendly discussion. He told me what I was already starting to experience: You will not find local clients until you are getting white hair. Without well-connected parents who already wield considerable economic power in Sioux Falls, being young will count against me--regardless of my actual skill level.  His advice was to seek clients outside of the area or move to follow them instead. It is discrimination, as it is irrational, that a business owner would prefer a well-established and old name over new and starting talent who can help them make more in sales.

Ethos & Logos in my next essay

In my next essay, I intend to build a logical order to my thoughts on intra-racism. It will incorporate a reference within a reference to John Milton's epic poem, Paradise Lost; and examination of a great American author, whose insight into a facet of African American culture is relevant.

1 comment:

  1. "Looking at this image, I see a younger MLK than I am used to seeing. He appears to be handled roughly by the arresting officers, but not resisting. I see a man driven by his convictions so strongly that he can deal with his own arrest with complete control. Knowing he will later choose to not pay his fine shows his insight into their system well enough that he can protest the laws of the city even after conviction." Well-said. By the way, what business do you own? Or intend to start?

    ReplyDelete